Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

No time for a shower? A quick hair fix!

This is the hair I was born with. Straight, thin, fine, lifeless, oily hair that has been passed down to me. The most bothersome, is the oily part. I can't go 36 hours between washings before it starts looking like I haven't washed it all week. It seems the older I get the worse it gets. Only washing it 2 days a week it simply not an option for me. To help control the oil I don't use conditioner on the top part of my head. I don't overdo any hair products. And currently I am trying organic shampoo too see if this makes a difference. And I will try the "no poo" method again if the organic doesn't help. However, what about the days I am needing to skip a shower because I spend too much time writing a blog post? lol! Here is what I use:
A mixture of cocoa powder (the baking kind) and corn starch = dry shampoo. I first read on this from the Modest Mom and decided to give it a try. I have dark blonde/light brown hair. Mom calls it dishwater blonde so I do half corn starch and half cocoa powder. The darker the hair the more cocoa powder you would use. The recipe also calls for essential oils, but I don't have any so I just skipped that. I keep it in a salt shaker in the bathroom cupboard. To use: I comb my hair and start a the back top part. I sprinkle some on and work it in with my fingers. Then work my way forward and hitting my sides above my ears last. I look like this when I am working it through:

When I'm done working the powder through, I comb again and fix my hair, and finish off with a bit of hair spray.

I have tried the can stuff before but it didn't work for me. This totally works and helps on those days when I want to skip washing my hair. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

P.S. Another day just to show what it looks like when I leave it down.

4 comments:

  1. I love this - thank you! I have the same issue and since I wake up so early for work I don't always want to wash my hair in the morning. It's a matter of waking up at 5:15 or 6am and most days I'd prefer the former. Thanks for this post - totally going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! Let me know what you think. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo I might give this a whirl. I did have some spray on dry shampoo but that ran out ages ago and it wasn't so great that I had to rush out and replace it. This seems a much better option for those odd occasions when I just run out of day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! Today was my first time doing it 2 days in a row. Worked great on the 2nd day too. Thank you for stopping by! If you get a chance to try it, let me know what you think.

      Delete